In 2012, Luster published ‘Belgium’s Best Buildings’, an elegant and easy-to-use pocket guide for architecture fans and for everyone who is curious about architecture in Belgium. That same year, the book was nominated as ‘One of the most inspiring architecture books of 2012’ by Architectura.be and The Word Magazine presented it as one of the ‘Six of Belgium’s Best Travel Guides’.
The concept of the book hasn’t changed for this new edition: starting from the top ten lists of renowned Belgian architects and architecture critics, it presents the best Belgian buildings (completed after 1900) with a photo and a short text in English and Dutch. The lists of the individuals are included. The first edition came to be with a little help from architects and experts such as Christian Kieckens, Leo Van Broeck and Dag Boutsen (dean of the faculty of Architecture of the KU Leuven). Their contribution was transfered to this new edition, but the selection has been updatet and extended; new buildings have been added based on extra lists from e.g. Kiki Verbeeck and Yves Malysse from URA, and VAi-director Sofie De Caigny.
The result is an interesting mix of well-known contemporary buildings such as the MAS museum in Antwerp, historical must-sees and less obvious architectural gems such as a modernist chapel or an architect’s house.
- Library in Schoten by Renaat Braem
- Architectural library UGent by OFFICE Kersten Geers David Van Severen
- Venetian Galleries in Ostend by Henri Maquet
- Sint-Rita church in Harelbeke by Leon Stynen
- Musée Royal de Mariemont by Roger Bastin
- City campus UHasselt (reconversion of an old prison) by noAarchitecten
- Sports centre La Fraineuse in Spa by Baukunst
- Sailing club in Zeebrugge by Wim Goes
- Sofie De Caigny (director VAi)
- Karen Kesteloot and Maarten Baeye (studiobont architects)
- Erik Wieërs (Collectief Noord)
- Sarah Poot (architect)
- Chris Meplon (journalist)
- Klaas Coussée and Ralf Goris (Coussée & Goris architects)
- Stéphane Beel (architect)
- Georgios Maillis and team (Charleroi Bouwmeester)
Best Buildings - Belgium
Paperback 13 x 18,5 cm
ca. 224 p.
Dutch & English
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, imagery or an interview.